Minimum Qualifications A bachelor’s degree AND two years of experience in the conduct of research studies requiring the analysis and interpretation of government policy, and the preparation of written reports.
A Master’s degree in public administration, public affairs, policy sciences, political science, government, or a related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
Duties Description Under the supervision of a Tax Policy Analyst 2 and a team leader, the incumbent assists in evaluating the effects of proposed or enacted tax law and regulatory changes on taxpayers, the State economy, and the State fiscal plan. The incumbent participates in conducting studies of the State’s tax structure to develop and analyze specific tax policies or policy changes. The results of the studies and/or analysis are used by the Governor and Legislature to proceed from a sound factual basis in formulating tax policy. The incumbent assists in a myriad of other activities to ensure that the Department’s contacts with the private sector, the general public, or government officials via correspondence, forms, or policy directives reflect sound tax policy. Specific duties include:
• Assisting in analyzing the effects of proposed or enacted State and Federal tax law or administrative changes on taxpayers, the State economy, the State fiscal plan, and Department operations;
• Assisting in developing fiscal impact estimates for proposed or enacted State and Federal tax law or administrative changes, tax policy studies, and the annual Tax Expenditure Report.
• Participating in conducting research studies analyzing New York State’s tax structure and making recommendations.
• Supporting the composition of statistical reports using computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher, SAS EG, and Cognos.
• Maintaining the reports and files necessary for monitoring and analyzing the status of corporate tax collections and the related impacts on the State’s fiscal plan.
• Assisting in developing and evaluating proposed or implemented tax compliance initiatives.
• Reviewing tax forms, legislation, regulations, advisory opinions, and technical memoranda to ensure consistent application of the tax law.
• Drafting executive and constituent correspondence relating to New York State tax structure and policies.
• Obtaining and maintaining knowledge of new developments and initiatives in the fields of Federal and state taxation and incorporating that knowledge into analysis of New York State tax policies.
• Abiding by the Department’s time and attendance rules and regulations.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Bldg 9, Room 280
Notes on ApplyingQualified and interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume, including their current title and agency. Please include an email address and telephone number where you can be reached.