Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIOINS:
Successful completion of a NYS two-year Carpentry Traineeship or NYS two-year Carpentry training program; OR successful completion of any equivalent Carpentry two-year training or apprenticeship program;* OR four (4) years of full-time experience in the Carpentry trade under a skilled journey-level carpenter which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in the Carpentry trade or training gained by completion of technical courses in the carpentry trade at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
* Successful completion of the traineeship and the training program includes a total of 288 hours of trade-specific class room instruction, 45 hours of technical math course work, 45 hours of technical communications course work, and 15 hours of blueprint/schematic reading course work. Course work must be completed with an average of C or better. Additionally, successful completion of the traineeship also includes 4,000 hours of on-the-job training.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
As directed, builds, repairs and installs such items as counters, cabinets, partitions, floors, doors, windows, building framework, roofs and trim following verbal or written instructions utilizing the tools of the carpentry trade and following standard carpentry techniques.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Installs and repairs ceiling and floor tiles.
• Performs general millwork, may build cabinets, furniture and other wooden items.
• Maintain shop equipment and portable tools used in the trade.
• Ability to lay out framing and construct components of building utilizing plans and drawings.
• Construct Inspections of facilities to determine needs, recommend priorities and method of repair.
• Prepare sketches and material listings needed for completion of assigned tasks.
• May supervise and instruct others in the construction and repair of structures.
• May be required to work with a variety of materials in addition to wood.
• Install and maintain doors, windows and associated hardware.
• May require daily travel within the district.
• May require some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Knowledge of applicable residential building codes.
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
• Basic computer skills preferred.
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
• Other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Please note:
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.