Minimum Qualifications A bachelor’s degree and three years of professional experience in any combination of the following: investment risk or portfolio management, investment operations, investment compliance, investment auditing, investment accounting, quantitative analysis.
Substitutions: An advanced degree in accounting, business administration, economics, finance, information services, mathematics, risk management, or a closely related field may substitute for one year of professional experience; successful completion of all three levels of the CFA exam may substitute for one year of professional experience.
A maximum of one year of experience substitution is permitted.
Duties Description Working under the direction of department management, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
1. Support organizational compliance with risk policies through regular risk exposure monitoring and reporting
2. Assist in the development and implementation of compliance procedures, monitoring protocols and an annual compliance program
3. Assist in the development of presentation and workshop materials; assist in presentation and workshop delivery as needed
4. Assist with development and recommend proactive approaches to managing NYSTRS’ risk management protocols and activities
5. Provide quality assurance over vendor and internally generated risk reports
6. Assist in the direction and management of NYSTRS’ information security and compliance program
7. Assist in the development, maintenance and execution of the risk management framework for NYSTRS’ investment and enterprise risks
8. Assist in the development and understanding of business unit processes and related inventories of key risks and controls. Create and maintain the Risk Register database.
9. Assist business units in development and monitoring of Key Risk Indicators, Risk Appetite Statements, Risk Tolerance Levels and prioritization of risks for application of treatment responses
10. Assist in the independent assessment of controls as needed
11. Assist in the implementation of risk metrics and methodologies
12. Prepare and review periodic reports for use by the Risk Department, other departments and/or Retirement Board
13. Participate in risk meetings to communicate results of testing/reviewing activities and identify new or changed processes requiring enhancements risk inventories
14. Assist in the coordination of NYSTRS’ insurance program
15. Assist in the development of assessment worksheets/instruments/tools to conduct risk assessments/measurement
16. Assist in the management and resolution of security threats to NYSTRS’ information systems
17. Serves as the information security resource and confirms systems and contract alignment with NYSTRS’ information security policies
18. Monitors information security industry trends, tools and techniques
19. May supervise junior level staff
20. Perform related duties as required
Additional Comments Preferred Qualifications
• Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Practical experience in a position with responsibility for overseeing or implementing a multi-asset class investment compliance program
• Practical experience in operational or strategic risk management at a defined benefit pension plan or investment management firm
• Practical experience in a position with responsibility for oversight of insurance programs
• Practical experience conducting risk assessments and implementing appropriate prevention, detection and response mechanisms
• Practical experience in one or more of the following areas: Operational Investment Risk Management, Security Governance Standards, Business Continuity Planning, Enterprise Risk Management, Computer Security Incident Response and Security Compliance Audits
• Practical experience in a position with administrative or technical duties for an organization-wide information security program
• Participation in security incident response
• Practical technology infrastructure experience, networking, risk management, and information security experience, as well as demonstrated understanding of Cyber security
• Practical experience with Information Security and Risk Management Frameworks such as NIST
• Practical experience assisting business units in the development of Key Risk Indicators, Risk Appetite Statements and Risk Tolerance Levels
• Practical experience in development of risk treatment and controls
• Practical experience in auditing of information systems
• One or more certifications in the Financial, Investment or Information Security fields.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.