Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications One year of permanent competitive service in this title or in a title eligible transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Admission to the New York State Bar and current registration to practice law in New York State is required for continued employment. Disbarment or loss of registration shall result in termination or suspension of employment.
Duties Description Located within the Child Welfare and Community Services Law Bureau in the Division of Legal Affairs, the Senior Attorney will be responsible for the following:
• Provide legal support to the Divisions of Child Welfare and Community Services (CWCS) regarding foster care and associated programs including kinship and out-of-state placements, preventive services, permanency activities, and federal and state funding for child welfare service programs.
• Provide legal support regarding immigration issues related to child welfare and adult services.
• Conduct legal research and develop legal opinions
• Draft and review federal and state legislation and regulations.
• Draft and review agency regulations and policies.
• Review draft requests for proposals, contracts, grant applications, reports and rate setting documents.
• Assist the Attorney General’s Office in litigation defense.
• Assist in developing agency responses to federal and state audits.
• Draft, review and assist in providing training on related topics.
• Conduct administrative reviews of child abuse and maltreatment reports.
Additional duties will be discussed in detail during the interview.
Additional Comments If you are on the Legal Specialties eligible list you may receive a canvass letter. Candidates must have 24 months of satisfactory legal experience for appointment to the Senior Attorney position.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
52 Washington Street, 231 North
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter giving the Title, Location, and EOA Number of the position being applied for. Please provide your email address and your work, home and cell phone numbers. In order to qualify you for the position when you have current or prior New York State employment, you may be contacted by OCFS Personnel for your social security number to confirm your employment history.