Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Southern State Parkway Exit 37N
Minimum Qualifications Successful completion of a NYS two-year Carpenter Traineeship or NYS two-year carpenter training program; OR successful completion of any equivalent carpenter two-year training or apprenticeship program; OR four (4) years of full-time experience in carpentry under a skilled journey-level carpenter which would provide training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in carpentry or training gained by completion of technical courses in carpentry at a school, institute, or branch of the Armed Services may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Duties Description Under the supervision of a Supervising Carpenter or other higher-level personnel, the Carpenter may be engaged in the performance of or coordination of the following activities working from verbal or written descriptions or drawings and sketches:
1. Designs or plans layouts and constructs a variety of structures, buildings, furniture, equipment and millwork using wood, plastics, aluminum, and other materials;
2. Builds, repairs and installs such items as counters, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, windows, building framework, roofs and trim following verbal/written instructions;
3. Does general millwork including cabinets, doors, bins and other wooden equipment using woodworking machines;
4. Maintains shop machinery, equipment and carpentry tools; makes sure work areas and equipment are clean, safe and properly serviced;
5. May draw rough sketches or prepare plans to scale to accomplish work projects as required;
6. Supervises, directs and coordinates subjourney level workers involved in the construction, maintenance and repair of buildings, frames, storage sheds, special ramps etc;.
7. Lays out work for staff and performs necessary journey level tasks such as laying out the cutting of roof trusses and stairs, installing hardware etc.;
8. Makes recommendations to supervisor on the need for specific materials needed in the performance of these repairs; as authorized by supervisor will be responsible for ordering and maintenance of adequate levels of supplies to accomplish duties described;
9. Gives verbal instructions and/or demonstrates proper carpentry techniques to subordinate staff in the proper use of carpentry tools and equipment;
10. Observes and inspects work while in progress and when completed to ensure that job is done properly;
11. May conduct inspections of facilities to determine maintenance needs and makes recommendations of priorities for repair based on the nature of the maintenance problem;
12. Operates light trucks and other motor vehicles as required to get to various facilities in the performance of duties;
13. May be required to load and unload materials, tools and equipment of varying weights and sizes as needed in the performance of duties assigned;
14. Repairs, reconstructs and rehabilitates boardwalk, fishing piers, dock staving and similar marine facilities;
15. Performs other related duties as required.
Additional Comments Operational Needs:
Selected candidate must possess and maintain a New York State Motor Vehicle Operator’s License by date of
appointment as a term and condition of employment;
Ability to do basic math such as add, subtract, multiply and divide;
Ability to read and comprehend written and/or verbal material and instructions;
Ability and skill in the use of carpentry tools;
Ability to prepare job estimates and order shop supplies;
Ability to utilize and train subordinate staff in the use of various trades associated tools and testing equipment;
Ability to supervise skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled work crews;
Ability to lift, carry and move equipment and/or materials of different weights and sizes;
Ability to work from scaffolds and ladders and on roofs.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingThis is a year-round seasonal position, eligible for benefits. It is the responsibility of applicants to accurately describe their experience, and demonstrate that they meet minimum qualifications and agency needs.
If you feel you meet the minimum qualifications, the Agency operating needs and are interested in being considered for this vacancy, you can obtain an Employment Application from your local park office, your region’s administrative headquarters or download an application from the NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website at www.nysparks.com. Please forward your application and resume, if available, to: Janet Grant, Personnel Office, P.O. Box 247, Babylon, NY 11702