Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method
List Appointment: Must be reachable for appointment on the Civil Service list #37-072, Chief Budgeting Analyst.
Transfer: Must be eligible for transfer under Section 52.6, 70.1, and/or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law. Information regarding transfer eligibility may be available on the Civil Service Career Mobility Office website at: http://careermobilityoffice.cs.ny.gov/cmo/
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services is seeking to fill the position of Chief Budgeting Analyst in the Office of Financial Management (OFM). The OFM is responsible for the Department’s budget, SFS, travel, procurement, MWBE/SDVOB program, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and revenue assessment and collection functions. This position reports to the Director of Financial Management.
Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
• Coordinates the development, preparation, implementation, and execution of the Department’s budget;
• Reviews and analyzes proposed legislation and prepares detailed analysis on major initiatives including budgetary impacts and fiscal implications for discussions with executive management;
• Monitors expenditure and disbursement activity demonstrating effective budgeting principles and practices to ensure spending is consistent with appropriations and the cash plan established by the Division of Budget;
• Provides recommendations to agency management regarding projected spending, revenue collection, alternative fiscal plans and savings recommendations;
• Prepares and provides annual budget presentations to the Superintendent and executive staff;
• Supervises OFM Budget Unit staff and oversees their day to day activities by providing fiscal, procedural, and technical guidance;
• Prepares staff annual performance plans and reviews and assigns appropriate training;
• Assists the Director with the management and oversight of the contract, purchasing, accounts payable, and travel units; the candidate is expected to have working knowledge of procurement and contracting principles and practices, OSC travel polices, as well as demonstrating effective supervisory methods;
• Reviews and approves agency transactions in the Statewide Financial System, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of New York State Finance Law and rules governing procurement and payment;
• Prepares and analyzes financial reports using the Statewide Financial System and Analyze NY to assist the Revenue Unit with calculating the industry assessments;
• Formulates a plan to continually monitor proper internal controls and other compliance measures to assure they are being followed;
• Serves as the data security officer for DOB, OSC and SFS;
• Assists in the development of Department fiscal policies and procedures;
• Assists the Director with special assignments or any other budget or fiscal matters assigned;
• Participates in all external and internal audits providing reports and research for the Director’s review;
• This candidate, along with the Principal Accountant, will serve as back-up to the Director of Financial Management as appropriate and necessary, including the direct and indirect supervision of staff.
• Strong knowledge of the State’s budget preparation process;
• Strong knowledge of effective budgeting principles and practices, including cost analysis, monitoring, and forecasting of expenditures and program evaluation;
• Knowledge of State Finance Law and State Comptroller policies and procedures;
• Knowledge of federal grant management and reporting;
• Excellent written and verbal skills as well as having strong analytic and presentation competences;
• Knowledge of internal control methodology;
• Proficient in Statewide Financial System (SFS) and Analyze NY reporting;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than July 16, 2018 to the email address listed below. Please include (Box CBA-00501) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 301
Albany, NY 12257
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.