Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must possess a New York State Commercial Driver’s License with either a ‘P’ or ‘S’ endorsement AND possess 19-A certification OR obtain 19-A certification within 90 days of appointment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to applicants who have experience working with deaf students and/or the ability to communicate through ASL/Sign Language.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s School for the Deaf is seeking to fill a Motor Vehicle Operator position. Major responsibilities of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Transport students on a school bus or van;
• Drive a variety of motor vehicles both on and off New York State property in order to transport people, material, and equipment as required;
• Map routes, itineraries and points of call;
• Plow snow from roadways and parking lots;
• Move or carry cargo onto, into, off of, or out of the vehicle operated;
• Move or carry cargo from the vehicle to the delivery or storage point;
• Post manifests, inventories, and other records of goods and people transported;
• Maintain vehicle records as per NYSED and School directives;
• Monitor gauges and checks fluid levels and tire pressures, change oil, tires, and spark plugs, fuel vehicles and add coolant to radiator, oil to crankcase and air to the tires, replace lamp bulbs;
• Wash vehicles;
• Perform routine preventive maintenance as per manufacturers’ recommendations;
• Inspect vehicles and note defects, and arrange repairs through appropriate New York State contract vendors; and
• Operate and maintain motorized equipment in support of maintenance, grounds, or building trade crews, including utilizing motorized lawn/landscaping equipment to care for outer school grounds, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent, 12-month, non-competitive appointment. Fingerprinting through the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Criminal Justice Services, a background check with the Office of Children and Family Services and clearance from the Justice Center Staff Exclusion List is required for employment. Fees associated with this process are at the applicant’s expense. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Continued employment as a Motor Vehicle Operator is dependent upon maintaining a New York State Commercial Driver’s License with either ‘P’ or ‘S’ endorsement and 19-A certification. Failure to maintain this license and certification will result in removal from employment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $39,941 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a copy of their license, resume, and letter of interest by July 17, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (RDC-218/00550) of the position in all correspondence and in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a copy of their license, resume, and letter of interest by July 17, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (RDC-218/00550) of the position in all correspondence and in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.