Office of Counsel
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Secretary 2.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. Candidates must also be able to pass a typing proficiency exam.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the Secretary 2 eligible list may be considered for appointment.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Counsel is seeking candidates for a Secretary 2 position. The Office of Counsel provides oral and written legal advice and services to the New York State Board of Regents, Commissioner of Education and Department staff. Duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Serve as the primary Secretary for assigned attorneys and perform a variety of clerical tasks including typing, filing, scheduling meetings and conferences, proofreading, photocopying, faxing, making travel arrangements, administering travel vouchers, ordering supplies and equipment, coordinating Continuing Legal Education courses and updating law books;
• Answer phone calls and provide technical assistance or redirect callers to the appropriate staff person or unit within the Department;
• Review, proofread and correct legal documents, including agency regulations, letters, briefs, memoranda, and administrative decisions;
• Assist attorneys in responding to document requests, including discoveries, subpoenas, and FOIL requests;
• Assist attorneys in preparing regulatory materials; and
• Maintain the office databases, including those used to track litigation, appeals, legislation, ethics and subpoenas.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of typing test results will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $63,151 with annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 27, 2018 to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-341/05005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by July 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (CFO-341/05005) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.