Minimum Qualifications A Bachelor’s degree and three years of professional experience investing or monitoring Private Equity or Real Estate Fund investments, or in commercial real estate lending performing at least one of the following: originations, securitizations, acquisitions, leasing, or asset management of institutional/commercial real estate assets or sourcing of commercial loans.
Substitutions: A Master’s degree in Business Administration or a closely related field may substitute for one year of experience; successful completion of all three levels of the CFA exam may substitute for one year of experience; holding a Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation, a Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) or a Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI) may substitute for one year of experience.
A maximum of one year of experience substitution is permitted.
Duties Description Under the general direction of higher level staff and management, the TRS Investment Officer 2 will independently and collaboratively perform the following duties:
- Participate in the preparation of the portfolio strategic plan
- Participate in the underwriting of new property acquisitions and fund investments to make investment recommendations
- Review and analyze property specific annual business plans, including budget, capital plans, leasing, financing, valuations, and hold/sell determinations. Work directly with external advisors on changes to the plan and/or make recommendations for approval
- Monitor and report on property performance on an ongoing basis and work with advisors on corrective actions, if needed
- Perform on-site property inspections for directly owned properties
- Review and comment on annual financial statement audits and periodic external appraisals for directly owned properties
- Work directly with external service providers including separate account advisors, joint venture partners, property managers, leasing agents, accountants, attorneys, appraisers, etc.
- Manage the disposition process for directly owned properties
- Monitor and report on an ongoing basis on commingled fund performance and work directly with the general partner when questions/issues arise
- Represent NYSTRS at advisory board meetings
- Present on portfolio investments at internal management meetings, IIIC, REAC and Board meetings
- Stay abreast of real estate market conditions and trends through discussions with industry participants and attendance at industry conferences
- Other duties as needed
- Travel required
Additional Comments Preferred Skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Ability to work in a team environment, providing and accepting input/feedback on transactions.
- Previous real estate experience and knowledge related to acquiring, managing, financing, leasing and/or disposing of commercial real estate
- Previous financial analysis experience
- Computer literacy including familiarity with Microsoft products
- Commitment to providing exceptional customer service
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering or in a closely related field
- Holding one or more of the following certifications: CAIA, CPA, CCIM, MAI, or CFA
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingThe link to the employment application is:
Please note that resumes will not be accepted as a substitute, in whole or part, for a completed application.