Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as an Accountant Aide; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service in a position allocated to a Grade 9 or above and eligible for transfer under Section 70.1* of the Civil Service Law.
Employees reachable on the Accountant Aide Civil Service eligible list will be canvassed and should not respond to this posting. This vacancy posting is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities.
*Accountant Aide Trainee – Completion of a two year traineeship leads to an Accountant Aide, SG-13. In addition to the six credit hours in accounting required at the time of appointment, an additional six credit hours in accounting is required (for a total of 12 credit hours) in order to complete this traineeship.
NOTE: A comprehensive list of titles approved for transfer to Accountant Aide is available in the Division of Human Resources Management or through Civil Service GOT-IT available at www.cs.ny.gov
Duties Description Under the direct supervision of a Senior Accountant, the Accountant Aide will:
• Process claims submitted for payment from assigned area agencies on aging (AAA) under various State and Federal grant programs as well as claims for various contract programs; conduct a detailed review to ensure compliance with governing laws, rules, regulations and agency and/or contract requirements; conduct any necessary follow up to request documentation or clarification; makes any necessary adjustments to claims. Provide technical assistance and training to AAAs on claiming and budget modification procedures via telephone and email contact.
• Prepare claims for transmittal to OSC for payment. Perform other tasks related to the processing of payments, such as daily entry in network databases to update payment records. Prepare correspondence to AAAs/grantees advising them of adjustments made to claims. Monitor claims to ensure timely processing and compliance with Prompt Payment Legislation.
• Assist Senior Accountant in conducting on-site monitoring of each assigned Area Agency at least once every three years by reviewing and verifying the accuracy and propriety of transactions, records, reports, and other supporting documentation for claims submitted to the NYSOFA. Provides technical assistance and training to area agency staff in appropriate record keeping and claiming procedures.
• Maintain records of grant or contract payments and funding or contract balances for assigned AAA’s and other grantees; reconcile SFS reports to claims to verify that payments were correctly coded and grant/contract fund balances are accurate. Prepare adjusting accounting transactions to correctly charge funds and verify accounting records as needed.
• Assist in the review and processing of budget modifications for contracts as well as AAA grant applications for assigned AAA’s; assists in the review and approval of Four Year Annual Implementation Plans (AIP) or plan updates as well as other funding applications.
• Perform other related duties including preparation of various worksheets and reports to support accounting systems and activities. Participate in agency workgroups and committees.
Note: Please include a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Position Title & Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.