Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree plus three years relevant experience. Must possess NYS Department of Labor Asbestos Certifications; i.e., Asbestos Project Monitor and Asbestos Inspector. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Engineering or Architecture plus four years relevant experience. Must possess NYS Department of Labor Asbestos Certifications; i.e., Asbestos Project Monitor and Asbestos Inspector. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Comprehensive knowledge of applicable federal, State and local rules and regulations.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Environmental Specialist performs a wide variety of environmental review, inspection, and analysis of existing facilities and projects under construction.
• Perform periodic on-site observations of environmental remediation projects under construction and monitor the quality of design and construction work performed by engineers, consultants, contractors and sub-contractors.
• Perform asbestos-related functions including hazard assessments, surveys, submittal reviews, abatement plan and specification review, asbestos sampling and survey report review.
• Consult with regulatory agencies to assist with interpretation and application of various laws, rules and regulations.
• Consult with DASNY staff on environmental questions arising from the review of plans, drawings and construction project problems and issues.
• Consult with staff and clients on proposed changes in physical structures or in the uses of DA properties.
• Act as liaison with technical specialists, consultants and other environmental agencies and representatives from the Federal, State and local government.
• Survey property prior to acquisition or involvement by the Dormitory Authority, assessing the general condition, state of repair, level of maintenance and compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
• Prepare reports relating to assigned activities and review reports/correspondence prepared by consultants, contractors, code enforcement officials and DASNY field staff.
• Perform independent, thorough investigations of specific problems including Engineering analysis and recommendation.
• Assist in the development, compilation and distribution of technical data.
• Research and develop technical data necessary to resolve complex design and construction problems.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Perform other inspections and related services as directed.
• Assist with the design, development, documentation and testing of computer applications for the Quality Assurance unit.
• Assist with the development, documentation and implementation of procedures
• Assist with the assessment/development and implementation of internal controls, and participate in the review and testing of same.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Frequent travel is required (8-12 trips per month) using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and other work-safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.) of a construction site. Must be available to occasionally work a modified work schedule or extended workday hours.
Workstation varies depending on assignment. Requires use of field equipment to conduct site visit observations and associated testing. Requires use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
**Position rates additional $5,054 annual location differential**
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.