Office of Audit Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-28/M-3 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Non-competitive Promotion: If there are three or fewer qualified candidates, a permanent appointment may be made as a non-competitive promotion pursuant to Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law. To qualify, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Principal Auditor or Principal Internal Auditor.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department (NYSED) is seeking applicants for the position of Director, Education Department Audits. The incumbent of this position will oversee the Office of Audit Services (OAS) which conducts audits of educational entities such as school districts, BOCES, not-for-profit organizations, and other entities located throughout the State that are regulated by or receive funds administered by NYSED, conducts internal audits of NYSED programs, functions, activities, and internal controls, reviews financial statements received from school districts, BOCES, and sub-recipients of federal funds, and prepares ratio analysis reports related to the financial condition of private colleges and universities. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Prepare the Annual Audit Plan (AAP) for the Commissioner of Education;
• Organize and direct resources for execution of the AAP;
• Oversee the analysis and preparation of fiscal reports related to financial statements received from school districts, BOCES, charter schools, and private colleges and universities;
• Direct the receipt and analysis of Single Audit reports, and the issuance of management decisions for each audit finding from sub-recipients of federal funds;
• Establish and implement an internal audit strategy to ensure alignment with NYSED’s goals while maintaining independence and objectivity, strategically plan the internal audit function, its mission and its strategic resources, and maintain a solid understanding of the Department’s programs, functions and activities;
• Prepare, maintain, and oversee an effective internal audit function while working collaboratively with NYSED’s Internal Control Officer;
• Prepare materials for meetings of the Regents Audits/Budget and Finance Committee;
• Ensure that audits are conducted in accordance with government auditing standards issued by the Comptroller General of the United States and policies of OAS; and
• Serve as the liaison to all Department audits by State and federal audit organizations, including the Office of the State Comptroller, Single Audits, and the US Department of Education’s Office of Inspector General.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval.
In accordance with Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law, this notice advises all employees of the New York State Education Department of our intention to conduct a non-competitive promotional examination for the position of Director, Education Department Audits in Albany. Permanent appointment may be made by non-competitive promotion of an applicant who meets the position’s minimum qualifications, if a non-competitive examination is approved by the Department of Civil Service.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $136,042 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-349/00800) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-349/00800) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.