Division of Library Development
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Library Development Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Library Development Specialist 1 Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master's degree in library science or information science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university OR a New York State permanent public librarian certificate AND three years of experience as a professional librarian. Experience must be in one or more of the following areas:
1. In a library field advisory/consultant position or as a director, in a state library or in a library system;
2. As a supervising librarian of a school district;
3. As a director or assistant director of a public library;
4. As a head librarian of a school library media center, including supervision over the equivalent of at least one full-time professional;
5. As a librarian with expertise in age-level or special group services, automation, telecommunication or network development, or collection development and resource sharing, in a public library, academic library, research library or special library;
6. In a position with overall responsibility for the operation of a major program area or branch, including supervision over the equivalent of at least two full-time professionals, in a public library, academic library, research library, or special library.
Provisional candidates must take the examination for the Library Development Specialist 1 when it is next offered and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for a Library Development Specialist 1 position in the New York State Library’s (NYSL) Division of Library Development. Under the direction of a Library Development Specialist 2, the incumbent of this position will perform a variety of activities in a team environment, including assisting in planning, regulating, coordinating and developing statewide library services and providing consultant and advisory services to localities, libraries and library systems on library-related governance, funding, legal and policy matters. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist with the management and delivery of a variety of State and federally-funded library programs and services;
• Assist in the development and delivery of system-based, regional and/or statewide informational and training programs, workshops and conferences;
• Serve as a speaker, resource person, facilitator and/or trainer for training programs, workshops and conferences;
• Provide assistance to advisory groups and other entities regarding statewide communication and advocacy efforts;
• Assist with the coordination of the collection, dissemination of information and data regarding libraries and library services;
• Assist in public policy development, including research and development of legislative and regulatory language for statewide library programs;
• Represent the NYSL by making presentations on State policies, plans and processes; and
• Supervise the work of support staff, interns and others, as assigned.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a salary of $97,448 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 20, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1091/80274) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 20, 2018 to email@example.com (E-mail submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1091/80274) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.