Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated M3 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: Candidates must be a qualified employee of the New York State Education Department and have one year of permanent or 55b/c service as a Supervisor of Education of Children with Disabilities.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a Chief, Special Education Services position in the Office of Special Education. The Office of Special Education (OSE) works to promote educational equity and excellence for students with disabilities. This Office oversees the implementation of federal and State laws, regulations, and policy for students with disabilities, provides general supervision and monitoring of all public and private schools, services for New York State preschool and school-age students with disabilities, and provides technical assistance to parents and school districts. Under the direction of the Director of Special Education Services, the incumbent of this position will manage the activities of the Special Education Quality Assurance (SEQA) Upstate Regional Unit, Program Development and Support Services (PDSS) Unit, Office of Special Education (OSE) State-funded networks, overseeing staff and resources. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Reinforce the Department’s vision in interactions and communications with staff and routinely articulate that vision, mission and goals to external customers and stakeholders;
• Participate in collaborative planning with OSE Units in the support of product development and cross functional work streams building capacity of all staff members;
• Ensure and demonstrate that the work activities of the SEQA Upstate Regional Unit staff PDSS Unit staff and OSE State funded Networks are data driven and aligned to the Department’s strategic Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Every Students Succeeds Act (ESSA) priorities;
• Ensure that all SEQA Upstate Regional Unit staff implement the formal complaint resolution process in a timely, accurate, fair and efficient manner and provide on-site, phone and written technical assistance to stakeholders in a timely, accurate manner providing high quality customer service;
• Ensure that staff are sensitive and responsive to parent issues and concerns, and work to promote meaningful and culturally responsive parent involvement;
• Ensure timely correction of identified noncompliance with federal and State special education regulations in public school districts, BOCES and other special education programs; and
• Implement ongoing programs of professional development to ensure all SEQA Upstate Regional Office staff are equipped to provide high quality support and delivery of their position responsibilities.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $136,042 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1851/48201) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 26, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1851/48201) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.