Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Open to NYS employees with one year of permanent competitive service as Project Manager 3, SG27, OR in a position at the SG25 level or higher deemed administrative under Section 52.6 of Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in advancement of more than two salary grades.
Note: If you are on the examination eligible list for the position title in this location, you do not need to respond to this posting unless you are also eligible for appointment by one of the qualifications listed above. Candidates must be reachable on the current eligible list for this title in order to be list appointed.
Duties Description Under the direction of a Special Assistant, SG-31, Director of the Project Management Office (PMO) within the Public Safety Portfolio, the Project Manager 3, SG-27, would serve as a PMO Team Leader. This position will oversee PMO staff and large, critical, high priority projects across multiple units and/or agencies, with multiple funding sources, and coordinating with Agency Commissioners and other executives throughout the seven Public Safety Portfolio customer agencies. These projects are critical to NYS and agency strategic objectives, monitored and sponsored by customer agencies, Public Safety, and ITS Enterprise executives, all stakeholders to whom this Project Manager 3 will report on a regular basis. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
• Facilitate Project Concept (Demand) Development from Agency Commissioners and Staff;
• Oversee development of Demands, Resources, and Cost estimates;
• Oversee preparation of Demand documentation for annual IT Strategic Planning Board (ITSPB) process;
• Prepare project details for Portfolio Budget and Agency Executive review and approval;
• Identify Innovation Opportunities for Portfolio and Agency Executive review and approval;
• Maintain Project Portfolios for customer agencies, assign project managers to projects, and monitor workloads;
• Develop Project Management templates and work processes, interacting with customer agency and ITS senior executives, partner units, and stakeholders;
• Oversee PMO staff competency in ITSM Demand and Project of Record software, ensuring successful and effective upgrades and introduction of new requirements as needed;
• Ensure quality control of all PMO deliverables and work products, addressing any deficiencies;
• Manage project governance process for Public Safety, interacting with ITS Executives, Agency Commissioners and Stakeholders, and Governance Boards;
• Oversee ongoing Project Management and Status Reporting, providing direction to up to 25 project managers, escalating issues to external agencies or ITS executives as needed;
• Manage Portfolio and Project Change Control, providing quality, scope, schedule, and cost control oversight and facilitating agency and Public Safety executive approval for project change;
• Prepare Project Portfolio Dashboards and status reporting summaries and extracts from ITSM for executive review;
• Manage day-to-day project management activities of PMO staff on approximately 25 complex projects for Public Safety customer agencies;
• Oversee dashboard projects which involve executive level planning with the customer agencies and internal ITS executives;
• Manage multiple project efforts including systems analysis and application program development activities across multiple business areas within a single customer agency and/or across multiple customer agencies;
• Develop and maintain detailed technical plans for Public Safety Portfolio business solutions and customer engagement teams;
• Facilitate cross-functional working groups in support of ITS shared services and Portfolio Executive Director;
• Liaise with ITS and agency executives on major initiatives and Enterprise project efforts;
• Monitor vendor compliance with contract for services on project based implementations, and perform problem identification, problem resolution, or executive escalation as needed;
• Perform full range of supervisory responsibilities.
Additional Comments Some positions may require additional credentials, fingerprinting, or a background check to verify your identity.
Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS Service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit a cover letter and resume and indicate that you are applying for the position of Project Manager 3, Ref. #57741. Please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Your Social Security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.