Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Continuing Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Assistant in Continuing Education Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Provisional Appointment: In the absence of an eligible list with three or more candidates willing to accept a position, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree and three years of professional experience in continuing education, as described below. Two years of this experience must have been in an oversight or administrative capacity of a continuing education program or in the development and implementation of a continuing education program. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Continuing Education when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment.
Continuing Education is the instruction of out-of-school youth and adults in such areas as: employment preparation through career and technical education, adult basic education, life skills, GED/TASC preparation, workplace literacy, adult literacy education, and specialized instruction for English Language Learners (ELLs).
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services (ACCES) is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Continuing Education position in their Adult Education Office. The incumbent of this position will provide support to the High School Equivalency (HSE) Unit which oversees the administration of the Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC™) exam as the primary pathway to a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Process out-of-state applications to add HSE records to New York State’s database;
• Cover HSE walk-up window, as needed and when requested;
• Assist HSE Customer Service phone representatives, as needed and when requested;
• Assist HSE Customer Service document staff, as needed, with duplicate record requests including Attachment H processing, Legacy database add-ons for archival records, and TASC editing/error corrections;
• Oversee the HSE batch document print daily;
• Oversee the processing of express record requests;
• Assist with all aspects of HSE test center operations including: examiner training, voucher processing for HSE test center reimbursement, submission and posting of public testing schedules on the New York State Education Department (NYSED) webpage, maintenance and updating of the test center hierarchy and contact list, maintenance of the examiner list-serve, and processing the three-way test center agreements;
• Assist with management of College Credit applications for HSE to include all inquiry management, review and decision, data entry for HSE College Credit records, and letter generation for incomplete and denied College Credit applicants;
• Respond to any and all HSE accommodations inquiries from the public and referrals to NYSED from Data Recognition Corporation (DRC);
• Oversee the management of the HSE Database; and
• Supervise lower-level professional and clerical staff.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment or a non-permanent provisional appointment. Provisional candidates must take the examination for Assistant in Continuing Education when it is next offered, and must be reachable on the resulting eligible list to maintain employment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Candidates should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required at the time of interview for all candidates.
* Leads to a maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2018to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2084) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2018to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (ACS-2084) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.