Investor Protection Bureau - Franchise Section
Minimum Qualifications You must be a NYS employee, salary grade 9 or above, who is eligible to transfer via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law to the Legal Assistant Trainee title.
If not already completed, all TRAINEES are required to successfully complete six courses in paralegal studies and related skills from an accredited college or university, and one or more college or training courses in writing skills, within the two-year traineeship.
Duties Description The Investor Protection Bureau is charged with enforcing both New York State’s Franchise Sales Act and Securities Act, which protect the public from fraud by regulating sales of franchises and securities in New York State, by requiring registration with the Attorney General's Office. Where appropriate, the Bureau's attorneys undertake investigations, and enforcement actions on behalf of the investing public.
• Review franchise registration applications and disclosure documents to ensure compliance with the New York State Franchise Sales Act and its corresponding regulations.
• Prepare comment letters that describe the deficiencies with the franchise disclosure documents.
• Engage in telephone conversations with franchisors and attorneys regarding franchise applications.
• Access the franchise database to obtain and record information.
• Provide information to the general public.
• Assist attorneys at examinations of witnesses in meetings and hearings.
• Prepare spreadsheets and other summaries.
• Assist in evaluating and making determinations regarding franchisor compliance with the provisions of the New York State Franchise Sales Act and its corresponding regulations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, and a Bachelor’s Degree are preferred. Candidates should possess excellent communication and organizational skills, be attentive to detail, and be capable of handling multiple tasks.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.