Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Candidates should have strong quantitative skills (some background in statistics or econometrics is preferred); a working knowledge of SAS and proficiency in Excel; capacity to manage and analyze large data sets; an ability to provide effective written and oral communications; and the ability to effectively deal with competing priorities under tight deadlines.
Duties Description The incumbent would be a member of the User Taxes Team that has responsibility for revenue estimation, receipts monitoring, and tax policy issues related to sales and use tax, transportation taxes and medical marijuana. This team employs multiple econometric and statistical techniques to provide forecasts and monitor cash receipts; has numerous opportunities each budget cycle to work with Executive Chamber and agency staff to develop, analyze and estimate the fiscal impacts of tax policy proposals; and collaborates frequently with other Budget Units on local finance, transportation and Financial Plan issues.
Responsibilities of the Budget Fellow for the User Taxes Team would include, but are not limited to:
• producing revenue estimates, revenue estimating methodologies, cash flow projections, fiscal notes, and monitoring tax receipts;
• having knowledge of the Tax Law, State Finance Law and other State and Federal laws as needed for an assignment;
• reviewing legislation and preparing bill memoranda and correspondence;
• producing memos and papers for use by the Front Office and Executive staff;
• working closely with staff in other Division of the Budget units and other agencies such as the Department of Taxation and Finance; and
• providing support to senior staff, as needed, on any potential User Tax Team assignment.
Additional Comments To be considered for a current or future position with the Budget Division, please complete the Online Employment Application at https://www.budget.ny.gov/resume/ and select "Revenue/Tax" in the Professional Interests Section.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.