Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming).
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in any of the following titles: Chief Computer Operator, Information Technology Specialist 3, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), or Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database).
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-21 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming) position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). The incumbent of this position will work in ITS’ Desktop Support Unit in the Automation Support Center, which provides end-user microcomputer services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervise and instruct staff in the NYSED Desktop Support and Hardware Units;
• Respond to help desk calls for computer-related problems via phone, remote control, or in person;
• Create work orders via the Footprints system, provide updated inventory data, and run monthly and requested reports through Crystal Reports;
• Direct staff to perform add/change/delete work order requests for software, equipment, new employees, transfers, and staff moves, including identifying and copying user data from old to new computers;
• Use System Center Configuration Manager to assist in creating software and operating system image packages for the enterprise;
• Manage hardware and software inventory;
• Use Microsoft Active Directory Users and Computers and other utilities to troubleshoot hardware, software, and password issues within the enterprise;
• Oversee delivery of new equipment and collection of old equipment to be reassigned or recycled;
• Assist and direct moves of computer equipment for staff and office relocations;
• Run anti-virus, spyware detection/removal, and data recovery software on staff computers;
• Direct the unpacking, configuration/setup, and delivery/deployment of new computer equipment, and coordinate with office staff receiving new computers;
• Install and configure software and other upgrades according to NYSED standards from NYSED servers and supplied images;
• Troubleshoot problems with PCs, laptops, printers and other hardware, including scanners and external drives;
• Analyze office computer needs and make recommendations to NYSED managers on how to deploy or redeploy equipment in the most efficient manner; and
• Evaluate new PC-related hardware and software, maintain knowledge to be able to set it up, and explain to users how to use it.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $92,693 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 2, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-328/51806) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 2, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-328/51806) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.