Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS:
• Valid NYS Driver’s License.
• Basic computer skills preferred
• Must be physically able to perform medium to heavy physical labor
• Must be able to understand and carry out written or oral instructions.
• Capable of working independently or as part of a work team.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
A Janitor performs a variety of routine manual tasks requiring light, medium and heavy physical effort in cleaning and caring for assigned areas in buildings, including secured units and adjacent grounds and sidewalks. They perform basic unskilled maintenance repairs and supervise cleaners and others.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs a variety of cleaning, maintenance, and care activities in the assigned area including mopping, washing, dusting, polishing, vacuuming, moving and setting up furniture, emptying trash, recycling, and other related duties as described in greater detail in the classification standard for Cleaner.
• Train individuals who reside in secure areas in the duties as described and assigned.
• Performs unskilled repairs and maintenance work such as hanging curtains, unplugging toilets, traps or sinks and performing routine maintenance on manual and motorized cleaning equipment.
• Sets up equipment and seating facilities for public meetings, classes, graduations, and special events.
• Requisitions cleaning and bathroom supplies, and industrial cleaning agents to clean assigned areas, as directed.
• Responds to requests for cleaning or maintenance, and refers matters requiring semiskilled or skilled trades work to higher level staff.
• Reports damages or needed maintenance and repair in assigned area requiring semiskilled or skilled trades staff to higher level staff.
• Maintenance of sidewalks and grounds to include but not limited to sweeping, shoveling snow, and salting.
• Supervise staff of lower-level cleaner personnel and others. Includes the preparation of performance plan and the completion of performance evaluations and probationary reports. in the cleaning and care of an assigned area by assigning specific tasks, providing instructions, scheduling work, making sure the work is completed per program specifications, and monitoring employee time and attendance and signing time cards.
• Other Duties as Assigned.
Additional Comments APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Submit cover letter and résumé by September 26, 2018 to:
2445 State Route 30
Tupper Lake, NY 12986
Phone: (518) 359-4150
Fax: (518) 359-4161
Please reference the above EOA # 18-124 in all correspondence.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservice
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.