Duties Description Reporting to the Associate Counsel, the Assistant Counsel (NS) will play a key role in providing expert guidance and highly specialized legal support in the area of tax law for the Division of Legal Services at the Office of the State Comptroller. The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
Provide expert legal support to the Bureau of Payroll Services
• Conduct pre-payment review of employment-related judgments, administrative awards, and settlement agreements involving back-salary awards and front pay (mainly in the form of contract buyouts) to State employees, including discussions with the Office of the Attorney General and State agency counsel as needed. In addition to an extensive working knowledge of the Internal Revenue Code and State Tax Law, this work requires extensive knowledge of the various collective bargaining agreements, the Civil Service Law and the State Finance law, and applicable rules and regulations.
• Provide legal guidance on the interpretation of changes in collective bargaining agreements, and legislative changes affecting salaries, withholdings and deductions.
• Provide guidance regarding the legal/tax aspects of State’s recovery of salary overpayments.
• Provide guidance related to the proper resolution of administrative errors regarding contributions to and distributions from the State’s deferred compensation plans, as well as the plans maintained by SUNY and CUNY.
• Provide guidance and assistance with the development of bulletins/other guidance for State agencies.
• Provide assistance to the Office of the Attorney General and State agency counsel relating to payroll projections in the context of settlement negotiations or proposed settlements/awards.
• Provides guidance on matters involving income executions, information subpoenas and other requests for payroll information.
Provide expert legal support to the Bureau of State Expenditures
• Provide guidance and assistance with regard to IRS information reporting requirements related to various State payments; and the proper reimbursement and taxation of State employees’ business expenses such as travel expenses.
Provide expert legal support to the Office of Unclaimed Funds
• Provide guidance on the unique payment issues arising out of the Comptroller’s responsibilities as custodian of the NYS Abandoned Property Fund, including: guidance on IRS information reporting requirements; and resolution of unique payment issues such as requirements for third party claims and claims by non-U.S. persons.
Miscellaneous Tax Guidance
• Provide IRS information reporting advice to the Division of Legal Services’ Litigation Unit, with respect to tax issues associated with settlements and judgments paid on cases handled by Office of the Attorney General, including employment related litigation, wrongful conviction, victim restitution, personal injury and property damage cases.
• Provide assistance to the Division of Legal Services’ Retirement Unit on payroll matters including back pay cases and explanation of payroll information for retirement disability cases.
Additional Comments DESIRED COMPETENCIES:
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively to all levels of staff both over the telephone and in-person.
• Ability to display tact discretion and judgment as this position will require strong partnerships throughout OSC and across NYS agencies.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Flexibility and Adaptability.
• Ability to work in a Team.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare, understand and interpret often complex written materials, and design and present curricula to diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as effectively, in a team environment.
• Experience working successfully on a Project which is a deadline driven environment where accuracy and attention to detail is required.
• Demonstrated experience in Payroll Taxation.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a clear, concise resume and cover letter stating how you meet the minimum qualifications and at least one writing sample to email@example.com no later than October 26, 2018. Please reference item # 01166-GOER-JDC” in the subject line and on the cover letter when responding.
Starting Salary: $102,000—$147,900
This is an exempt class position. Under Civil Service Law, employees appointed to exempt class positions do not gain tenure protection, and serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
When responding, please include the reference number and letters listed in this section. The GOER VACANCY # should not be included.