Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
68 Lexington Ave
Minimum Qualifications This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
Two years of experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled trades worker or other appropriate supervisor and demonstrated ability to perform the requirements of the position;
Completion of an appropriate two-year technical school.*
Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of New York.
May be required to acquire and maintain a military driver’s license to operate military vehicles and equipment in accordance with NGB standards to include medical evaluation requirements – current and as amended.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be able to read and write in English.
Ability to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
Ability to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
Ability to work in confined spaces in accordance with requirements.
Ability to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
Must be able to operate and maintain tools, machinery and equipment required for craft to which assigned.
Must be familiar with and be able to independently use commonly utilized software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Required to have or successfully complete within 90 days of receiving computer access, all SFS, SLMS and other computer training as related to position duties.
In accordance with NGB standards, will be required to obtain and maintain a favorable background investigation, and have an appropriate clearance to allow access to computer networks and restricted areas to determine suitability, loyalty, and trustworthiness. Minimally a National Agency Check with Inquiry (NACI) will be completed - dependent on current regulation, a SECRET clearance may be required.
* Other combinations of education and work experience, including military, may be considered, however, candidate must demonstrate direct relevance to the job duties noted above.
At all times, the employee MUST maintain minimum standards in accordance with current statutes, agency requirements and directives. Failure to do so will subject the individual to disciplinary action and/or termination.
High School Graduate or GED equivalent and college level credits.
Expertise or certification in a trade and/or a proven record of working on complex construction or maintenance assignments.
NOTE: Position standards illustrate the nature, extent and scope of duties and responsibilities of the position described. Standards cannot and do not include all of the work that might be appropriately performed by the incumbent. The minimum qualifications above are those which were required for appointment at the time the Position Standards were written. Please contact State Human Resources Management for any further information regarding the position requirements.
Duties Description Under direction of the supervisor, Maintenance Assistants perform semi-skilled activities and tasks typical of a variety of trade specialties such as in the areas of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, motor equipment or painting. Such tasks involve the use of hand and/or portable power tools, shop equipment, measuring and testing instruments and other equipment to perform semi-skilled maintenance, repairs, renovations and alterations. Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Maintenance Assistants may perform the activities of this class with considerable independence and are expected to accomplish assignments thoroughly and with professionalism. In some locations, Maintenance Assistants are the primary day-to-day overseer of the assigned facilities. Incumbent must be able to properly address problems and/or understand the reporting chain of command to have issues addressed timely.
The position performs responsibilities in accordance with National Guard Bureau (NGB) standards (and where applicable those requirements of the Master Cooperative Agreement between the NGB and the DMNA), as well as agency and labor contract duties and responsibilities – current and as amended. The position may report to state and/or federal supervisory personnel.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
• Perform routine repetitive semi-skilled maintenance and repair of plumbing, electrical, carpentry, masonry and other facility services and equipment.
• Perform general grounds maintenance tasks such as clearing sites, mowing lawns, trimming and removing trees and shrubs, maintaining roads and sidewalks, snow and ice removal, collection/pick-up of trash and other obstructions from the building and surrounding areas.
• Perform general facilities maintenance such as cleaning common areas, offices and restrooms, painting and moving furniture.
• Troubleshoot facility, equipment and/or machinery problems and work to resolve concerns in a timely manner.
• Maintain automotive equipment and other machinery.
• May perform journeymen level activities under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions.
• May be the primary point of contact on-sight for contractors and vendors.
• As directed, may supervise appropriate subordinates in order to accomplish required tasks and duties.
• When applicable, the individual will assist with maintenance requirements for the Nonmilitary Use Program.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• Will complete and attend training as required.
• Periodic overtime may be required
• Periodic travel may be required to other facilities; to attend training; or other requirements related to duties as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local facility and building codes, health and safety standards and other applicable rules and regulations.
• Ability to use tools, machines, equipment and materials in a safe, effective and efficient manner.
• Ability to read and interpret facility and grounds plans, specifications, manuals and blueprints.
• Ability to work comfortably at heights such as climbing ladders, working on scaffolds, platforms and lifts.
• Ability to push, pull, lift and carry heavy objects and equipment (50+ lbs).
• Ability to work outside in various temperatures and inclement weather for extended periods of time.
• Incumbents of this position are considered essential personnel.
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, ensure follow through on assignments and seek assistance or report concerns when needed.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to analyze project needs and communicate same to supervisor and crew as applicable.
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle, other motorized equipment and a variety of light mechanized construction equipment.
• Ability to work independently or with other individuals in a project/team setting in accordance with supervisory guidance and direction.
• Ability to get along with and interact well with different groups of people, including co-workers, management, both Federal and State personnel and the public utilizing the facility.
• Ability to perform routine repairs and maintenance on equipment and facility structures.
• Ability to supervise others.
• Ability to read and write in English.
• Demonstrate reliability and trustworthiness.
• High School Graduate or GED equivalent and college level credits.
• Supervisory experience.
• Expertise or certification in a trade.
• Familiarity with use of Microsoft Office software.
Additional Comments This position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
In addition: NYS Armory Lexington Ave receives a Downstate Adjustment of $3,026 annually.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Notes on ApplyingThis position is not in the Classified Service of New York State, but is covered under New York State Military Law. If selected, current Civil Service employees will lose their seniority within the Classified Service, thereby exempting them from applying for promotional exams within Civil Service.
To be considered for interview, submit a cover letter and resume. In e-mail subject line and cover letter indicate the title, location, vacancy announcement number of the position for which you are applying. Ensure to clearly note how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Please be certain to note your specific license or certification to meet requirements.
If you are a former public employee retired within New York State currently receiving benefits, indicate this and the name of the retirement system in your cover letter.
Cover letter and resume may be submitted via E-mail (preferred method), FAX, or Mail. ENSURE TO COPY E-MAIL ADDRESS EXACTLY.
E-mail to: email@example.com
FAX to: (518) 786-6085
For Questions: (518) 786-4830
New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs
State Human Resources Management
330 Old Niskayuna Road
Latham, New York 12110-3514
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED IN STATE HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT (MNHS) BY OCTOBER 21, 2018.
VAGUENESS AND OMISSIONS WILL NOT BE RESOLVED IN YOUR FAVOR.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the
Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ALL CURRENT PERMANENT DMNA STATE EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE INTERVIEWED TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE, ABILITY TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVISION AND ABILITY TO PERFORM THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION. THE REQUIREMENT TO PROVE QUALIFICATION SHALL REST WITH THE EMPLOYEE.
ALL OTHER CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR INTERVIEW TO EVALUATE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO THE DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION.