Minimum Qualifications Interested candidates must be currently reachable on the eligible list or be eligible to transfer under section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
Candidates appointed from the departmental eligible list will be required to serve a two-year traineeship that leads to Accountant Aide, G-13.
Candidates appointed to the traineeship must have completed six credit hours of accounting/auditing and will need to complete an additional six credit hours of accounting/auditing courses before completion of the traineeship.
To be eligible to transfer via 70.1 to Accountant Aide Trainee, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying title allocated to grade 7 or higher and have completed six credit hours of accounting/auditing.
To be eligible to transfer via 70.1 to Accountant Aide, SG-13, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying title allocated to grade 11 or higher and have completed 12 credit hours of accounting/auditing.
Duties Description Disbursements & Check Processing Functions:
• Perform daily disbursements functions incorporating appropriate internal controls.
• Review payment directives submitted by other units to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to entry into MEBEL system.
• Respond to inquiries from internal and external sources via telephone, fax, letter, or email related to all aspects of the disbursements function timely, accurately, and professionally.
• Perform process of stopping & replacing checks when checks are lost or destroyed as requested by payee or other business units.
• Research each item to ensure that appropriate documentation is present prior to stopping and replacing checks.
• Prepare and maintain log of checks stopped and replaced.
• Process forgery claims.
• Prepare and maintain correspondence with payees and bank regarding forgery claims.
• Submit forgery claims to the bank and monitor outcome.
• Process replacement checks as required.
• Perform monthly outstanding check processes.
• Outstanding checks must be accounted for and either reissued or transferred to the unclaimed benefits fund.
• Prepare outstanding check letters monthly.
• Update and maintain outstanding checks spreadsheet.
• Respond to phone calls regarding outstanding checks.
Process Cash Receipts:
• Perform daily cash receipting functions incorporating appropriate internal controls which includes balancing, processing and reconciling incoming funds via ACH debit/wire and check. RN batches require identifying the payment and entering them into the MEBEL system.
• Process DCW’s, Form A’s, revenue adjustments, and receipt transfers as required.
• Deliver unapplied lists and work tickets of payments received and processed to appropriate business units for further processing.
Process W-4P Tax Forms for Pensioners:
• Receive completed forms from pensioners and enter into the MEBEL system. In 2017, 13,192 W-4P cases were processed.
• Verbal and/or written follow up communication with pensioners is required if form is incomplete or inaccurate.
• Provide written and verbal responses to questions from pensioners.
• Maintain statistical records of cases processed by the Tax Services unit.
Assist Associate and Senior Accountants with calculation of daily federal Tax liability and remittance of federal tax withholding:
• Compile necessary reports to compute daily federal tax liability for both ERS and PFRS.
• Prepare internal forms for review and wiring of federal tax withheld.
• Interface with bank systems to process payments.
• Update internal work papers and forms for annual filings.
Associate and Senior Accountants with Returned 1099-R Processing:
• Approximately 3,600 of the 530,000 1099-R’s produced and mailed get returned annually.
• To ensure compliance with IRS regulations, it is critical to follow-up on returned 1099’s. The process includes determining whether tax withholding was reported on the 1099, researching addresses and reissuing 1099’s.
• In addition, appropriate documentation of the process must be maintained to demonstrate IRS requirements are followed.
Assist Associate Accountant and Senior Accountants with preparation of financial reporting and monthly pension census data:
• Assist with various financial reports and special projects as requested by supervisor.
Additional Comments Desired Competencies:
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
• Excellent time and attendance
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingInterested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October 23, 2018. Please reference Item # 08039 GOER-JAM in the subject line of the email and in the cover letter when responding (The Vacancy ID # should not be included).