Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Current Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services employee with permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire Protection Specialist 3 and interested in reassignment; OR current New York State employee with one year or more of permanent, contingent-permanent or 55b/c service as a Fire Protection Specialist 3.
Employees reachable on the Fire Protection Specialist 3 Civil Service eligible list will be canvassed and should not respond to this posting. This vacancy announcement is for the purposes of notifying individuals about transfer opportunities.
Duties Description • Develop recommendations with respect to program development and policy in their assigned program area which may include the fields of: fire operations, fire prevention and code enforcement, inspection, investigation, emergency response, research, planning, data collection, training and standards.
• Achieve operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to overall Office of Fire Prevention and Control (OFPC) strategic plans and reviews, preparing and completing action plans, implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards, resolving problems, identifying trends, determining system improvements and implementing change.
• Represent the State Fire Administrator and the OFPC at: local, regional, state, or national meetings and hearings.
• Assist in the development of specific program budgets in the Feasibility Phase and refine it through succeeding phases. Work to meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions.
• Oversee the purchasing and procurement of goods and services used in conjunction with assigned program areas. Prioritize and plan proper use of program assets and funds.
• Responsible for proper implementation of all Division and OFPC procedures, protocols, controls and directives within the assigned program areas.
• Direct the operation of, provide guidance to and supervise subordinate staff.
• Plan, develop and administer training programs within assigned area and coordinate such activities with other OFPC missions.
• Direct preparedness and response efforts by OFPC and assure proper response capabilities and levels in support of Statewide Fire Mobilization and Mutual Aid activities during large scale emergencies.
• Direct operational emergency response capabilities in relation to Incident Management Support, Fire Investigation Technical Assistance, New York State’s Urban Search and Rescue Team (NY-TF2), Hazardous Materials Emergency Technical Assistance, Post Disaster Structural Damage Assessments and other such operational programs.
• Direct the preparation of grant proposals within assigned program areas.
• Draft legislative proposals within their respective program areas.
• Review and provide comment regarding legislation concerning fire and related life safety issues and or initiatives.
This position may require significant travel and extended hours for long periods of time during major emergencies and disasters.
*Work schedule may vary based on operational needs.
NOTE: Support of operations during times of emergency and disaster from State Emergency Operations Center (EOC), state field offices and/or local deployments may be required, which would result in a change and/or increase in working hours, locations and/or duties.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
31st Floor Corning Tower, Empire State Plaza
Notes on ApplyingPlease submit cover letter along with a clear and concise resume detailing how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position as listed in Specifics and indicate the Vacancy ID number for which you are applying.