Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Open to NYS employees with one year of permanent competitive service as Project Manager 1, SG23, OR in a position at the SG21 level or higher deemed administrative under Section 52.6 of Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in advancement of more than two salary grades.
Candidates eligible for consideration under Section 70.4 of Civil Service Law include NYS employees with one year of permanent competitive service as a SG21 or higher who also meet the qualifications below and did not fail the last holding of the open-competitive exam. Those eligible for consideration under Section 55-b/c are also encouraged to apply.
For 55-b/c, provisional, or 70.4 consideration, candidates must satisfy at least one of the following:
1. Seven years of project management experience* which must include planning and at least three other of the management process groups: origination (including governance/work intake, portfolio management, capacity/demand planning); initiating; executing; controlling; and, closing. This experience must include the development of significant project management deliverables such as scope statements, schedules, budgets, quality plans, risks plans, and communications plans AND completion of twenty-one contact hours of project management training within the last six years; OR
2. An associate’s degree and five years of the required experience* as described in option 1 above and completion of twenty-one contact hours of project management training within the last six years; OR
3. A bachelor’s degree and three years of the required experience* as described in option 1 above and completion of twenty-one contact hours of project management training within the last six years; OR
4. A master’s degree and two years of the required experience* as described in option 1 above and completion of twenty-one contact hours of project management training within the last six years; OR
5. Current certification from the Project Management Institute as a Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) and five years of the required experience as described in option 1 above and completion of twenty-one contact hours of project management training within the last six years; OR
6. Current certification from the Project Management Institute as a Program Management Professional (PMP); or PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP); or Program Management Professional (PgMP)
*Examples of qualifying experience for these examinations include: Mentoring and the development of junior project managers; building and managing a formal project schedule that results from a work breakdown structure; actively resolving issues and action items that are documented during project specific meetings; developing formal project presentations that are intended to convey project progress to multiple levels of stakeholders.
Examples of non-qualifying experience for these examinations include: Experience restricted to information technology lead roles/functions, training, instructing, or delivering project management theory and classes; scheduling meetings and taking meeting minutes.
Duties Description Under the Direction of a Manager Information Technology Services 1, SG-27, within the Endpoint Services group the Project Manager 1, SG-23, will plan and implement a centrally managed Enterprise Operations process and four-year cycle for Statewide Endpoint Refresh of all EUS endpoint devices (PCs, laptops, tablets, printers and zero-client VDI terminals).
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Organize and maintain project management information.
• Document changes to project scope and project requirements.
• Prepare detailed Work Breakdown Structures (WBS), clearly defining project workflow and resource allocation.
• Prepare schedule of ongoing and future tasks.
• Track task assignments and project related issues.
• Establish critical milestones and recommend schedule adjustments.
• Record and review quality metrics concerning the project and performance.
• Conduct all project meetings, both internal and with client agencies, providing and distributing meeting agendas and meeting minutes.
• Communicate project status with EUS Management, Portfolio Executive Directors and Client Agencies.
• Interact with stakeholders.
• Assess project risks, which include interruptions of services, cost overruns and the impact on infrastructure.
• Report project risks to project leaders and assist in planning to mitigate any unnecessary risks.
• Coordinate with other ITS teams to ensure the Refresh Project proceeds smoothly with all affected clients.
• Ensure that project objectives are met.
• Perform full range of supervisory responsibilities.
Additional Comments The position is pending Division of the Budget approval. Some positions may require fingerprinting. Selected candidates who are new or returning to NYS service may be required to pay for fingerprinting fees.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Empire State Plaza, PO Box 2062
Notes on ApplyingTo apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume and indicate that you are applying for the position of Project Manager 1, Ref. #13705M. Please clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for this position. Your Social Security number may be required to confirm your eligibility.