Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
1150 Forest Hill Road
Minimum Qualifications Permanent service as a Safety & Security Officer 1 or Safety & Security Officer Trainee in a New York State agency eligible for transfer; OR
• At least one year of permanent service in the title of Direct Support Assistant, Grade 9, eligible for 70.1 transfer pursuant to Civil Service Law; OR
• Reachable on the current New York State Civil service list; AND
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• Must be a United States Citizen and a resident of New York State.
• Must pass a medical examination administered by the Department of Civil Service’s Employee Health Services, which includes an agility test.
• Must undergo a thorough background investigation to determine suitability for appointment. Conviction of a felony will bar appointment; conviction of a misdemeanor or other violation of law may bar appointment. Background investigation includes fingerprinting for both state and federal identification records check. Candidates may also be required to be cleared through the New York State Child Abuse Register.
• Must have a driver’s license valid in New York State. A conditional license is not acceptable.
• Ability to work effectively within the treatment team.
• Ability to act independently.
• Ability to meet and maintain criminal background and physical standards.
• Ability to accurately observe and document conditions relating to welfare and security.
NOTE: Due to the peace officer status of incumbents, re-fingerprinting, including payment of all applicable fees, is required even for an existing employee who may already have “search and retain” status with the Division of Criminal Justice Services.
Duties Description PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Include, but not limited to:
• Security patrols, on foot or by vehicle, in order to detect evidence of irregularities and deter criminal activity.
• Inspect buildings to insure that all areas are appropriately locked, secured and free of hazardous conditions.
• Maintain communication by radio, P.A., or telephone for routine and emergency needs.
• Questions suspicious persons.
• May direct vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
• Enforces state, municipal and institution laws, rules and regulations.
• May operate security cameras, computers, and related electronic security equipment.
• Answers questions and gives directions to visitors.
• May occasionally arrest suspects and violators in order to protect persons and property.
• May testify in court.
• May need to conduct searches to locate missing individuals.
• Responds to, investigates and prepares detailed written reports at the scenes of fires, accidents, and other incidents.
• Summons medical assistance and applies first aid as the situation indicates.
• May physically intervene in fights and may physically restrain unruly individuals in order to prevent injury to others.
• Interviews victims, witnesses, complainants, and suspects in order to collect information needed to assist in criminal prosecution.
• Conducts quarterly reviews of Agency properties as assigned by supervisor to ensure compliance with NYS Uniform and Life Safety Code, and Agency rules and regulations.
• Daily travel within the Region, and to other Regions within the State may be required.
• May be involved in emergency management through planning, implementing and assessing disaster plans.
• Performs other related duties.
Additional Comments Please note:
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure,
please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the
Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
1150 Forest Hill Road, Bldg 46A, Human Resources