Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have been admitted to the New York State Bar and have four years of relevant, post-graduate experience, including significant trial work or administrative hearing experience, demonstrating progressively responsible experience in such areas.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt jurisdictional class, and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education. Frequent same-day travel and occasional overnight travel throughout the State will be required.
*Plus $3,026 downstate location pay. Salary leads to $104,080 based on annual performance advances.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of the Professions, which regulates 48 professions licensed by the New York State Board of Regents, is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant Counsel in its Office of Professional Discipline (OPD), Illegal Practice Unit. Under the direction of OPD management and a supervising attorney, the incumbent of this position will participate in the development and review of investigations into allegations of professional misconduct. Other duties include, but are not limited to;
• Providing legal advice to OPD investigators and members of the various State boards for the professions;
• Engaging in settlement negotiations in professional misconduct cases;
• Preparing for hearings and try before panels of the various State boards, professional misconduct cases, moral character cases that involve individuals seeking licensure, and restoration of license cases involving individuals whose licenses have been previously revoked or surrendered;
• Representing OPD before the Regents Review Committee, which reviews decisions of hearing panels in professional misconduct cases;
• Researching and preparing well-written briefs, memoranda of law, specifications of professional misconduct, other legal pleadings, internal memoranda and correspondence; and
• Responsibility for effective and timely management of caseloads, as well as courteous and effective interaction with members of the Board of Regents, various State professional boards, other SED staff, opposing counsel, witnesses and members of the public.
Additional Comments APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 25, 2013 to the email address listed below firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (OP-782) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Box CG OP-782/21243 89 Washington Avenue, OHRM, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by February 25, 2013 to the email address listed below email@example.com (Email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (OP-782) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.