Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
100 Washington Street
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable for appointment on the current Civil Service eligible list for the title or eligible for 70.1 transfer;
Provisional Opportunity - In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the following open competitive qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
1. one year of satisfactory hands-on experience in the operation and maintenance of boilers and/or auxiliary equipment or HVAC equipment in commercial, industrial or institutional facilities. (Experience limited to residential applications is NOT considered qualifying);
2. a high school diploma or GED and successful completion of four trades courses in any combination of the following trades: electrical, refrigeration, boiler operation and maintenance, plumbing, and HVAC. Each trades course must include a minimum of 30 to 45 classroom/lab hours in order to be considered qualifying;
3. successful completion of 12 college semester credit hours in any combination of the following course areas: heating ventilation and air conditioning, electrical circuits, fluid mechanics, technical communications, thermal dynamics, utility refrigeration mechanics, blueprint reading and sketching, physics, boiler and steam systems, industrial electricity, electric utility systems, plant operation and maintenance, industrial instrumentation and control, industrial safety, and environmental air quality;
4. completion of an approved certificate program* in HVAC or related area that is a minimum of one year in duration;
5. completion of an approved certificate program* in HVAC or related area which is less than one year in duration and post certificate experience, which combined equals one year.
The following military experience is considered examples of qualifying experience:
U.S. Air Force: Graduate of heating, HVAC, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration apprenticeship program.
U.S. Coast Guard: Must have been an enlisted machinery technician (MK) with the U.S. Coast Guard OR possession of a certificate as a Marine Engineer issued by the United States Coast Guard.
U.S. Army: Must have been an enlisted power generation equipment repairer with the U.S. Army.
U.S. Navy: Must have been an enlisted gas turbine systems technician, submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator reactor control, utilities man, machinist mate, or engineman with the U.S. Navy.
U.S. Merchant Marine: Must have a merchant mariner's document (MMD) and be a qualified member of the engine department (QMED) as an oiler, fireman/watertender, refrigerating engineer or engineman.
* Certification program must be accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology or recognized by the NYSED Bureau of Proprietary Schools.
If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
1. Applicants who have completed college-level,
accredited military or industrial training should
contact the Excelsior College, University of the State
of New York, 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203-
5159, at (518) 464-8500, ext. 27 or visit their website
at www.excelsior.edu for information about the Full
Service Credit Bank service which can issue a college
transcript, which this department will review for
compliance with the minimum education requirement
for this examination.
2. Your degree and/or college credit must have been
awarded by a regionally accredited college or
university or one recognized by the NYS Education
Department as following acceptable educational
practices. If your degree was awarded by an
educational institution outside the United States and its
territories, you must provide independent verification
of equivalency. You can write to the Examination
Information Desk of the Department of Civil Service
for a list of acceptable companies who provide this
service. You must pay the required evaluation fee. If
you are applying on the Internet, you must mail the
independent verification of equivalency to the NYS
Department of Civil Service, Albany, New York 12239.
3. Appropriate part-time and volunteer experience,
which can be verified, will be accepted on a prorated
4. New York State residence is not required.
Duties Description As a Plant Utilities Assistant, you would assist in the operation, maintenance, and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning, and electrical distribution in a safe and efficient manner.
Additional Comments Background Investigation Requirements:
Prospective appointees will be: 1) Checked against the Staff Exclusion List (SEL) maintained by the Justice Center for the Protection of People with Special Needs. Prospective employees whose names appear on the SEL as having been found responsible for serious or repeated acts of abuse or neglect will be barred from appointment and may have their names removed from the eligible list(s) for the title(s) if applicable. 2) Investigated through a Criminal Background Check (CBC), which includes State and federal Criminal History Record Checks. All convictions must be reported; conviction of a felony or misdemeanor, or any falsified or omitted information on the prospective appointee’s employment application, may bar appointment or result in removal after appointment. Each case will be determined on its own merits, consistent with the applicable provisions of State and federal laws, rules, and regulations. Prospective employees will be fingerprinted in order to obtain a record of their criminal history information, and may be required to pay any necessary fees. 3) Screened against the Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (SCR). Prospective employees will be required to pay any necessary fees. Additionally, prospective employees whose names are indicated on the SCR may be barred from appointment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
100 Washington Street
Notes on ApplyingPlease indicate the Title, Vacancy ID # and Location of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email or fax. Please complete the Office of Mental Health Employment Application and submit it along with your other application materials via fax, mail or the Human Resources email address noted above.