Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Assistant in Bilingual Education.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than three acceptors, a non-permanent provisional appointment may be considered. For non-permanent provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education AND three years of experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners (ELL) in grades K-12. One year of the three years of experience may be in an administrative or supervisory capacity in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language. A Ph.D. in education may be substituted for up to two years of teaching experience.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Bilingual Education position in the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages (OBEWL). This Office provides guidance, technical assistance, and support to New York State Districts, Charter Schools, and Religious and Independent Schools, educational organizations, and the public in the development of programs for English Language Learners/Multilingual Learners (ELLs/MLLs) and World Language students. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide technical assistance on State and federal law regulation, policy and practice to school personnel, professional associations, community-based organizations, parents, and others in areas that include instruction and support for all ELLs/MLLs including Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education (SIFE), differently-abled ELL/MLL students, and immigrant students;
• Assist with development and delivery of professional development workshops to schools, school districts, charter schools, community-based organizations and parents;
• Collect, analyze and maintain up-to-date program-related data and prepare required reports;
• Assist in the preparation and review of program reports, memoranda, instructional guides and other resources related to legislation, regulations, and policy statements;
• Research and assist in the preparation of Requests for Proposal (RFP), grant applications, amendments, Memorandums of Understanding (MOU), contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, and informational materials;
• Provide guidance and collaboration regarding the development of ELL/MLL educational resources and initiatives, including key consultant committee work, collaboration with the Department’s Regional Bilingual Education Resource Networks (RBERNs), and delivery of training sessions to provide content knowledge in the development of ELL/MLL regulations, programs and procedures; and
• Undertake special assignments, as directed by the Assistant Commissioner.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent or non-permanent provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and certification will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to maximum salary of $88,124 based on annual performance advances.
**Plus $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1840/20620) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by September 28, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1840/20620) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.