Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Duties Description The NYSAC Counsel shall:
• Provide legal support to NYSAC and DOS with regard to the regulation of boxing, mixed-martial arts, sparring, and the promotion of professional wrestling within New York State.
• Provide legal support to NYSAC and DOS regarding the licensure and authorization of boxers, fighters, seconds, managers, match-makers, trainers, timekeepers, announcers, gyms, promoters, referees, and judges.
• Provide legal support to NYSAC and DOS with regard to investigations and administrative disciplinary proceedings against licensees/permit holders for violations of law are properly conducted.
• Provide legal support to NYSAC to ensure that, as a public body, it appropriately exercises its quasi-judicial duties and complies with the Open Meetings Law and Freedom of Information Law.
• Review and draft contracts relating to professional boxing and other NYSAC regulated sports.
• Coordinate, consult, and otherwise interface with law enforcement authorities to appropriately respond to and prevent unlawful and/or unlicensed combat sport activities.
• Review administrative documents and required filings pre-event, and work with the Chair and Executive Director to conduct administrative debriefings on behalf of NYSAC post-event.
• Draft and amend NYSAC rules and regulations
• Consult with and prepare memoranda for the DOS legislative counsel on any proposed or enacted statutory changes impacting NYSAC.
• Provide legal support regarding internal controls and conflict of interest policies and procedures.
• Provide on-site legal support at professional events and weigh-ins conducted under the jurisdiction of NYSAC.
• Attend and provide legal support to the NYSAC Commissioners and Chair at open meetings.
• Attend and provide legal support to the NYSAC Medical Advisory Board and its Chair.
• Assist in the preparation and review of required NYSAC annual reports and other public documents.
• Coordinate with the DOS litigation counsel and the Office of the Attorney General to provide proper legal support regarding NYSAC-related litigation or pre-litigation matters.
• Prepare complaints, notices, briefs and serve as a presenter on behalf of NYSAC at administrative disciplinary hearings brought against NYSAC licensees.
• Prepare and assist in the implementation of regulations, policies, procedures, application forms, administrative documents, and reports necessary to fully comply with all applicable State and federal laws.
Additional Comments The Department of State (DOS) is seeking an experienced attorney to provide legal support and counsel to the Executive Director and the Commissioners of the State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) on all legal matters concerning NYSAC policy and operations. The NYSAC Counsel will be supervised by and shall report directly to the DOS General Counsel and will serve in a full-time appointive position based in the NYSAC offices in New York City.
**Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.