Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Reassignment: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming).
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Chief Computer Operator, Information Technology Specialist 3, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), Information Technology Specialist 4, Information Technology Specialist 4 (Data Communications), Information Technology Specialist 4 (Database), or Information Technology Specialist 4 (Operations).
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s (NYSED) Office of Information Technology Services (ITS) is seeking applicants for an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Systems Programming) position. The incumbent of this position will manage NYSED’s Desktop Support and Hardware units in the Automation Support Center (ASC), which provides end-user microcomputer services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supervise and direct the ASC Hardware and Desktop Support units;
• Coordinate, manage, and monitor vendor contracts and delivery of vendor services;
• Identify and procure hardware and software to support NYSED program areas, including ITS;
• Assist in setting strategic IT priorities and coordinate activities within program units in support of IT asset management;
• Coordinate and communicate with the rest of the ASC and other ITS and customer areas as needed;
• Assist in ASC planning;
• Coordinate all updates with other technical units, program area staff, and management, including scheduling, testing, and deployment of new systems software;
• Conduct testing with other IT staff to ensure minimal impact of new and updated software in the computing environment;
• Integrate new projects and services seamlessly into the current network of services with support and cooperation of all stakeholders;
• Identify and purchase hardware and software to support the departments program areas;
• Maintain positive relations with customers with a strong customer service focus;
• Ensure problem resolution is accurate, effective, and timely, meeting NYSED’s and customer’s needs;
• Provide guidance, direction, and supervision of IT subordinate staff, and assist staff with professional development of technical and non-technical skill sets; and
• Motivate staff to provide quality services and continuously improve the type and level of services offered to NYSED staff.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of work experience will be required at the time of interview for all candidates applying for appointment from the eligible list. This position requires occasional off-shift night and weekend work.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by June 27, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-320/01741) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by June 27, 2018 to email@example.com (Email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-320/01741) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.