Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications This position is open to candidates who are reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 1, G-14, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as an Information Technology Specialist 1, G-14. This position is also open to NYS employees deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second, consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grades. In order to qualify for a Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying administrative title such as Business Management Assistant, G-14, Internal Auditor, G-14, or Program Research Specialist 1, G-14.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Knowledge of hardware and software and their working relationships within a computer installation
• Knowledge of database structure and database design
• Knowledge of database programming specifically SQL
• Knowledge of programming and programming standards
• Knowledge of computer terminology
• Knowledge of operating systems/standards/utilities
• Knowledge of security methods and procedures in a data processing environment
• Knowledge of testing and debugging techniques
• Ability to read and understand technical literature
• Ability to conduct post-implementation review and problem resolution
• Ability to communicate technical information both orally and in writing
• Ability to think logically
• Ability to understand and act upon technical instructions
Duties Description As part of the Statewide Financial System’s (SFS) Operations Division, the Information Technology Specialist 1 works in the Master Data Management Bureau.
Illustrative duties include, but are not limited to:
• Designs and maintains configuration values
• Coordinates and participates in the review of configuration values being proposed
• Helps to ensure that the configuration documentation is well maintained and in line with the values entered into the systems
• Assists in the efforts to define and maintain procedures outlining the documentation and entry of configuration values
• Promotes the appropriate use of such documentation by staff
• Deploys configuration values across the many environments supporting the Program
• Coordinates the direct entry of configuration values into the SFS environments
• Designs, builds and executes database scripts to deploy configuration values as an ongoing maintenance effort
• Assists in the training of SFS Program staff in the use of configuration documentation and the entry of configuration values into the systems
• Identifies and resolves malfunctions and complex problems related to the configurations
• Assists other SFS Program members in determining the causes of and solutions to problems related to the configuration of the systems
• Maintains appropriate documentation of issues and resolutions for future reference
• Assists in the classification and handling of SFS data
• Participates in the classification of data elements and data entities
• Identifies sensitive and confidential data
• Participates in the implementation of processes to appropriately handle SFS data
• Assists in the establishment of appropriate access approval processes
• Monitors the operation, versioning and access to configurations and sensitive data
• Supports and maintains a "Gold" environment of configuration values for various applications
• Assists in the establishment and support of a configuration data dictionary
• Supports a Configuration Management System to maintain and control versioning of work products documenting the configuration of the SFS environments
• Assists in the support of other Master Data Management activities
• Performs other tasks as necessary for the success of the SFS Program
Additional Comments You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS, you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial system that supports the business of New York State government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the Budget.
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000 voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provides extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified professionals who can lead and support on-going transformational statewide information technology projects. Working as part of the team at SFS provides a great opportunity to be part of a mission-driven organization that strongly supports its employees’ professional growth and development through training opportunities and knowledge sharing. You would also be able to see your work directly support the transformation of business processes supporting NYS government.
More About SFS
We are an innovative team of experts specializing in enterprise resource planning (ERP), financial operations, business analysis, information technology, project management, service delivery, training, change management and stakeholder relations. Since our inception, our focus has been to meet our customers’ financial processing needs, ensure the integrity of State financial data and lead future migrations from existing agency financial systems into one integrated financial management system.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail, fax, or post office mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Information Technology Specialist 1, Ref. #18-03.