Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications This position is open to candidates who are reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 3, G-23, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as an Information Technology Specialist 3, G-23. As well as those deemed eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second, consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grades. In order to qualify for a Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in a qualifying administrative title such as Information Technology Specialist 3 (Data Communications), G-23, Information Technology Specialist 3 (Database), G-23, or Information Technology Specialist 3 (Systems Programming), G-23.
Required Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to install and maintain software used in a shared environment;
• Ability to install and maintain software operating in a 3-tiered environment;
• Ability to troubleshoot, research, and resolve packaged software problems;
• Familiarity with basic IP network administration tasks;
• Ability to learn new skills and processes quickly;
• Ability to plan and organize development work and deliverables;
• Ability to set realistic goals and balance multiple priorities;
• Good oral and written communication skills;
• Self-motivated and independent, ability to work with minimal supervision;
• Ability to work with a technical team of internal and external resources;
• Ability to work collaboratively across project teams;
• Ability to supervise other staff; and
• Ability to work off hours when required to perform maintenance activities as required.
• Minimum 5 years experience in a desktop support role;
• Experience in a managerial role; and
• Technical professional certification is a plus.
Duties Description As a member of the Statewide Financial System (SFS) Technology Division, the incumbent will be responsible for managing the Desktop Services Bureau. This will include the maintenance and administration of the desktop software and hardware environment for SFS and management of desktop support staff. The candidate will be required to understand MS-Office, Exchange and Active Directory technologies; as well as general desktop computing.
General Job Responsibilities:
• Work with project team members to assess team technology needs and identify appropriate applications to support SFS Project activities;
• Serve as the point of contact with organizations providing hardware and telecommunications support for the SFS project team;
• Manage a technical support group that will assist project team staff in resolving basic workstation software problems or questions; and
• Collaborate with other project team units to ensure that the desktop work environment supports project activities, goals and objectives.
• Plan, install and administer software tools as required by the SFS project team; these tools may include software to manage requirements, testing, collaboration, and project planning;
• Coordinate purchases of software to support SFS project team activities;
• Coordinate purchases of PC and Printer hardware;
• Maintain hardware and software inventories;
• Oversee the maintenance of Windows and Exchange accounts for project team members;
• Oversee technical support for the SFS project team;
• Coordinate the involvement of technical service providers when necessary;
• Develop documentation and standard procedures; and
• Mentor other staff.
Additional Comments You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS, you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial system that supports the business of New York State government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the Budget.
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000 voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provides extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified professionals who can lead and support on-going transformational statewide information technology projects. Working as part of the team at SFS provides a great opportunity to be part of a mission-driven organization that strongly supports its employees’ professional growth and development through training opportunities and knowledge sharing. You would also be able to see your work directly support the transformation of business processes supporting NYS government.
More About SFS
We are an innovative team of experts specializing in enterprise resource planning (ERP), financial operations, business analysis, information technology, project management, service delivery, training, change management and stakeholder relations. Since our inception, our focus has been to meet our customers’ financial processing needs, ensure the integrity of State financial data and lead future migrations from existing agency financial systems into one integrated financial management system.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail, fax, or post office mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Information Technology Specialist 3, Ref. #18-05.