Office of Information Technology Services
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Section 70.1 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-23 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Section 52.6 Transfer: Candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title allocated SG-23 or higher eligible to transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. For information regarding the transfer options of your current title, please visit the Civil Service Career Mobility Office Website.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Information Technology Specialist 4 (Data Communications) Civil Service eligible list. If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
Duties Description The New York State Education Department’s Performance Improvement Management Services is seeking candidates for an Information Technology Specialist 4 (Data Communications) position in the Office of Information Technology Services (ITS). ITS is the service unit responsible for fulfilling the information processing needs of offices throughout NYSED. The incumbent of this position will perform advanced technical activities supporting NYSED’s data-network infrastructure at over 40 facilities throughout New York State. These data networks provide access to a complete spectrum of services including applications systems, file sharing and storage systems, e-mail, Internet, Unisys mainframe, Voice over IP telephone services, and video conference services. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Manage and supervise NYSED’s voice telecommunications unit;
• Manage NYSED’s business activities and relationship with the New York State Office of Information Technology’s telecommunications and voice operations units;
• Manage business relationships with telecommunications and network equipment/services vendors;
• Manage billing of NYSED’s data circuits and telecommunications equipment;
• Lead projects to install, maintain, and manage the LAN infrastructure supporting data and voice traffic at NYSED sites;
• Manage NYSED’s mobile device portfolio;
• Develop and maintain detailed technical documentation of network infrastructure;
• Coordinate and perform software upgrades on network switch infrastructure;
• Oversee site analysis and installation of Wi-Fi networks;
• Participate in network performance analysis, tuning, and capacity planning;
• Execute procurements of voice and data network equipment, services, and maintenance;
• Ensure network design meets all required information security policies and standards; and
• Coordinate activities with other technology units and customers through clear, accurate, and timely communication.
Additional Comments CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointee’s negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. This position will require periodic night and weekend work.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $102,661 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 4, 2018 to email@example.com (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-336/01717) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528EB
Notes on ApplyingAPPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by October 4, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions preferred). You must include the Box number (PIMS-336/01717) of the position in the subject line of your email and cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.